libewf is a library to access the Expert Witness Compression Format (EWF).
- Status: experimental
- Licence: LGPLv3+
Read or write supported EWF formats:
- SMART .s01 (EWF-S01)
- .E01 (EWF-E01)
- .Ex01 (EWF2-Ex01)
- .Ex01 (EWF2-Ex01) bzip2 compression (work in progress)
- .Ex01 (EWF2-Ex01) encryption
Read-only supported EWF formats:
- Logical Evidence File (LEF)
- .L01 (EWF-L01)
- .Lx01 (EWF2-Lx01)
- empty-block compression
- read/write access using delta (or shadow) files
- write resume
Work in progress:
- Dokan library support (experimental)
- Python bindings (including Python 3 support)
- write EWF2-Ex01 support
- Multi-threading support
- write EWF-L01 and EWF2-Lx01 (long-term)
The libewf package contains the following tools:
- ewfacquire; which writes storage media data from devices and files to EWF files.
- ewfacquirestream; which writes data from stdin to EWF files.
- ewfdebug; experimental tool does nothing at the moment.
- ewfexport; which exports storage media data in EWF files to (split) RAW format or a specific version of EWF files.
- ewfinfo; which shows the metadata in EWF files.
- ewfmount; which FUSE mounts EWF files.
- ewfrecover; special variant of ewfexport to create a new set of EWF files from a corrupt set.
- ewfverify; which verifies the storage media data in EWF files.
For previous project contributions see:
For previous stable releases see:
For more information see: