Python Program that downloads gaming required packages based on your Linux Distribution.
Table of contents
- I tested this script on these distributions. but it should also work on their derivatives too.
- Arch Linux.
- OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
You need your drivers installed beforehand for maximum performance under Linux. you can install them by going to this page
To run this LibreGaming script you need python3 installed if not already. to install python3 click Here.
Also you need to enable free and nonfree packages if you are using Fedora to install steam. You can find the commands to enable free and nonfree packages for Fedora here:
For OpenSUSE Tumbleweed you need to enable packman repos to install Steam and other packages. You can find that here
If you are using Arch Linux or an Arch based system you need to enable 32bit packages found in multilib repo you can enable it by going to this Arch wiki page.
- Install git For Ubuntu:
sudo apt install git
- Install git For Arch Linux:
sudo pacman -S git
- Install git For Fedora:
sudo dnf install git
- Install git For OpenSUSE Tumbleweed:
sudo zypper install git
- Install Python3 For Ubuntu:
sudo apt install python3
- Install Python3 For Arch Linux:
sudo pacman -S python
- Install Python3 For Fedora:
sudo dnf install python3
- Install Python3 For OpenSUSE Tumbleweed:
sudo zypper install python3
- Install python3-pip For Ubuntu:
sudo apt install python3-pip
- Install python3-pip For Arch Linux:
sudo pacman -S python-pip
- Install python3-pip For Fedora:
sudo dnf install python3-pip
- Install python3-pip For OpenSUSE Tumbleweed:
sudo zypper install python3-pip
- Flatpak is needed for installing Athenaeum.
- These Packages are installed using
- These Packages + the ones above can be installed using
- Heroic (Needs AUR enabled on Arch Linux)
- mangohud and goverlay(Needs AUR enabled on Arch Linux).
- These Packages have their own install option and they are not included in the above packages. They need to be installed seperatly, to know more click here
- ProtonGE(You Must run Steam at least once before installing ProtonGE).
- Athenaeum Launcher for FOSS games.
- itch.io a Launcher for indie games.
- Steam Tinker Launch(Only for Arch Linux).
- You can install LibreGaming using pip if you have it installed. click Here to install pip3:
pip3 install LibreGaming
- Or you can install LibreGaming script by entering these commands:
git clone https://github.com/Ahmed-Al-Balochi/LibreGaming.git LibreGaming/
python3 setup.py install --user
- To update LibreGaming when there is a new release enter this command:
pip3 install LibreGaming -U
- LibreGaming: command not found.
This error can be solved by setting up the PATH in your shell you can do this by entering these lines in your shell file(.bashrc or .zshrc) and by default your shell file is hidden. to show hidden files enter
ls -al in the terminal.
- Note that the LibreGaming Script is saved in ~/.local/bin directory by default.
if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ] ;
- Note: you can also run this script using
libregaming command if you don't like
LibreGaming. Both can be used, so choose what you prefer.
- To install all the Gaming packages mentioned in the packages section enter this command:
- To install Basic Packages(Wine, Steam, Gamemode):
- To install ProtonGE enter this command:
- To install Athenaeum Launcher enter this command:
- To install gaming packages, ProtonGE, and Athenaeum Launcher enter this command:
LibreGaming -g -p -ath
- To install itch.io Launcher enter this command:
- To install Steam Tinker Launch(For Arch Linux only) enter this command:
- You can use a Terminal Based User Interface(TUI) to help you install what you want in a graphical way.
enter this command to use the TUI
- To list all the available releases of ProtonGE enter this command:
- To list all the installed verions of ProtonGE enter this command:
- To install a specfic release of ProtonGE enter this command:
LibreGaming -t 6.13-GE-1
- To delete a specfic release of ProtonGE enter this command:
LibreGaming -rm 6.13-GE-1
- Tell me what distro to add if yours is not available. And what features you'd like to see.
- Also please report if there are any bugs in the script.
- Your feedback is always welcome.
- Thanks to GloriousEggroll for ProtonGE.
- Thanks to AUNaseef protonup for making it easier to install ProtonGE.
- Thanks to flightlessmango for mangohud.
- Thanks to benjamimgois for goverlay.
- Thanks to anyone who downloads this script, and to everyone who gives me feedback.